Thursday, July 29, 2010

Time to try...

I made Taylor's 18 month appointment for next month and I realized how few words he actually says. I've been reading up and if we don't give him a reason to say the word, then he won't. From today forward when he grunts (I usually know what that grunt means and give him what he wants) I am going to say the word a few times and try to make him say it if he wants it. I know that it won't work at first but, from what I read, it should work eventually. I am sure that it doesn't help that he is at home with MIL and myself all day. He has no peers to encourage him to speak.  I have to try to push the thought that I'm failing as a mother aside, because I know that I can fix it and that crying about it won't help.

I'd like to report that the days, with two children under the age of two, are getting easier but should I say that, I'd be lying. The days, so far, are getting even tougher. Gabby has an almost colicky cry at the end of the night.  Sure, putting her stomach down over your knee works for a while.. but then the crying starts back up eventually. Then you can try to walk around with her and she'll fall asleep, but the second you put her down, she starts screaming. You can feed her, and sometimes it'll stay down but most times she'll spit it back up or get gassy, which makes her start crying some more.  It's just a fit that has to be pushed through because for the most part there is nothing we can do. I am just so glad that Taylor is such a sound sleeper that he doesn't wake up crying while she is having this fit.

Gabby makes one-month old tomorrow. The nights are long, but the days are longer.  I just pray that God gives me the strength to push through the next couple of months, when she should get better about sleeping for longer intervals @ night and is less fussy during the day. I am surprised @ how well Taylor is doing. He has his little bouts of jealousy but for the most part he is doing way better than I could've ever hoped for. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to worry lady friend. H had a whole lot to say when he was younger but when he got the preschool they thought he had a speech problem. THey actually wanted to put him in SPED....we were so not having that! THe kid just wanted to move at his own pace. They wanted him to speak up and be loud like the other kids but it just was'nt his style. Took him awhile...and now I can't really shut him up...no worries. Easier said than done for sure but you know in your heart that you guys are doing your best and following your own instincts have worked so far. Just keep trucking momma!

Mama D said...

Thanks, Johnny. :) I think i remember that happening with H.. And I couldn't believe it because he's one of the MOST intelligent kids I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.